From time to time I like show my face around here, and say hi!
The last time I did that I was fully mourning the loss of our sweet pup, and I thought it might be time to come back again and check in.
Hello! Life lately has been busier than normal which is good. At last we left off everything felt kind of up in the air-- I didn't really know who I was outside of having to care for something so nonstop. In the month after Hank's passing I threw myself totally into work and in a way I'm really really glad that I did. I needed to feel like something needed me and it turns out it was myself. I needed me.
I feel like the healing process has been slow, but I feel like myself again. It took almost 30 days to feel like me. I counted every last one of them. My husband, Tucker, and I just recently took a few days off to have a mini vacation in Austin (more on that later!) and I feel like I was able to take a break, investigate my feelings, and get honest with myself. It was a very healing, very tear filled, very relaxing few days.
I've been wanting to write out a few weird facts about me on the blog for a while, and this feels like the right time, though I'm not quite sure why. Here goes nothing.
1) I am a car singer... nay... performer. I dance, I belt, I do the key change eloquently to Whitney Houston's "I Want to Dance with Somebody."
2) I am not tidy. I work consistently and constantly towards learning to be a more tidy, more organized person. I'm working with a personal organizer soon and I can't wait to share that with you.
3) I've never worked full time for someone other than myself since I graduated college and I've had at least a part time job since I was 15 years old.
4) I always end up having heart to hearts with strangers-turned-new-acquaintances and I always ask them weird questions like "Who were you in High School?" and "What's your relationship with your mom like?" Those are by far my favorite questions to ask people.
5) I LOVE ASKING + ANSWERING QUESTIONS. Tucker and I play the questions game weekly, which is essentially just asking each other questions and answering them. Our entire relationship is founded on questions like "If you could only eat one topping on your pizza for the rest of your life, what would it be?" and "If you had a free ticket from Southwest Airlines that you had to buy today, where would you go?"
6) If you ask me where I'm from I'll get really confused and say Virginia and then correct myself and say North Carolina because I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT ANSWER IS. I was born and raised in North Carolina, but went to college in Virginia and spent a year or so after college there... and did the most of my growing up there.
7) I thoroughly enjoy arriving to a meeting and the other person not showing up. I get to be the cool girl who remembers and attends all of her meetings, and BONUS, I get to figure out to do with an hour and a half of unoccupied time. It's blissful. If you're reading this and we have a meeting scheduled please still show up to our meeting! I'm running a tight ship over here!
8) I have big retirement dreams that include living in a baby blue or light pink house that's on the coast of South Carolina (in Folly Beach!) I will also have a cat... and I have no interest in having a cat now so we'll see how things change between now and then.
9) My Christian faith is incredibly important to me and it is the reason I believe in basic human rights for all people regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender or otherwise.
10) I love Austin so much, and I moved here without a plan. I get so excited when people tell me about big moves in their life. When you know you need to move, you know. Even if it isn't super practical or super convenient.
10b) I'm a firm believer that life works out.
What about you? What's a fun fact about you?